STARFIRE ZX/2 Mark2 fitting instructions for
the Honda CX500, all models.
1) Mount the Starfire ZX/2 Mark 2 CDI unit in place of the original.
2) Connect the BROWN wire from the CDI to any BLUE wire in the CX harness. This is the main 12 volt ignition feed.
3) Connect the CDI BLACK wire to the DARK GREEN wire in the existing CDI connector (ground)
4) Connect the ORANGE from the CDI to the PINK in the above connector (ignition coil right)
5) Connect the BLUE from the CDI to the YELLOW in the above connector (ignition coil left)
6) Connect the YELLOW from the CDI to the LIGHT BLUE in the above connector (pulse coil right)
7) Connect the PURPLE from the CDI to the ORANGE in the above connector (pulse coil left)
8) Connect the GREY wire from the CDI to the BLACK/WHITE wire in the above connector (kill switch)
The bike will now run.
Note: The GREY wire is used to disable the ZX MK2 unit. This wire is taken to ground through the kill, or engine stop switch. This wire can also be used with a hidden switch as an anti theft, or used with an external rev limiting RPM counter. Current through this wire is approx 12 milliamps. IMPORTANT: If the ignition key is left on with the kill switch enabled, the CDI will be in standby mode and still consuming battery power.
The CX uses a second pulse to advance the spark at high revs. This can be accomplished by the following procedure:
1) Connect a 1N4002 (or equivalent) diode between the CX connector ORANGE and ORANGE/RED, the cathode (striped end) to the ORANGE/RED.
2) Connect a 1N4002 (or equivalent) diode between the CX connector LIGHT BLUE and the LIGHT BLUE/RED, the cathode to the LIGHT BLUE/RED.
This will allow the usual advance curve to operate.
NOTE. The high voltage alternator coils are not used with the STARFIRE CDI.
Click for Wiring Diagram