ZX CDI Mark2 -3 CDI conversion for SUZUKI GT 550 using existing points. The POINTS INTERFACE UNIT must be used with this conversion
1) Mount CDI to bike and disconnect battery.
2) Disconnect 6 pin Molex style connector from the 3 ignition coils, and route the main harness end toward the CDI
3) Route the CDI ORANGE, BLUE and DARK GREEN wires to the IGNITION COIL end of this connector and connect these to the PURPLE, BLACK/WHITE and BLACK. ( three ignition coil actives, left, center and right)
4) Connect three BLACK wires to the three ORANGE wires in this same connector (common ground), and ground these securely to the frame.
5) Connect the BROWN CDI wire to one orange wire in the rerouted main harness connector as in step 2
6) Connect the BLACK CDI wire to a firm ground.
7) Mount the Points Interface Unit in a suitable place where the three timing lights can be easily seen when setting up the timing.
8) Connect the CDI YELLOW, PURPLE and LIGHT GREEN wires to the Points Interface Unit YELLOW, PURPLE and LIGHT GREEN .
9) Connect the PIU BLACK wire to a firm ground
10) Connect the PIU ORANGE, BLUE and BROWN wires to the PURPLE, BLACK/WHITE and BLACK leads in the Molex style harness connector as in step 2 (left, center and right contact breakers)
11) Connect the RED PIU wire to
the ORANGE in the main harness connector as in step 2 ( ignition
12 volt supply)
The bike will now run.
Note: The GREY wire
is used to disable the ZX MK2 unit. This wire is taken to ground
through the kill, or engine stop switch. This wire can also be
used with a hidden switch as an anti theft, or used with an
external rev limiting RPM counter. Current through this wire is
approx 12 milliamps. If not used, this wire can be cut and
ignored. IMPORTANT: If the
ignition key is left on with the kill switch enabled, the CDI
will be in standby mode and still consuming battery power.
Click for Wiring Diagram