Starfire ZX Mark2 -2 CDI fitting instructions for Yamaha RD350. The POINTS INTERFACE UNIT must be used with this conversion
CDI conversion for YAMAHA RD350 using the existing points.
1) mount CDI to bike and disconnect battery.
2) Disconnect the Two BROWN wires from the 2 ignition coils, and route the main harness end toward the CDI
3) Disconnect the ORANGE and GREY wires from the 2 ignition coils, and route the main harness end toward the CDI
4) Connect the CDI ORANGE and BLUE wires to the ignition coils connecting these to the positive terminals, one on each coil. (two ignition coil actives, left, and right)
5) Connect two BLACK wires to the two negative terminals on the coils (common ground) one on each, and ground these securely.
6) Connect the BROWN CDI wire to one BROWN wire in the rerouted harness connector as in step 2 (12 volt ignition)
7) Connect the BLACK CDI wire to a firm ground.
8) mount the Points Interface Unit in a suitable place where the three timing lights can be easily seen when setting up the timing.
9) Connect the CDI YELLOW, and PURPLE wires to the Points Interface Unit YELLOW and PURPLE .
10) Connect the PIU BLACK wire to a firm ground
11) Connect the PIU ORANGE and BLUE wires to the ORANGE and GREY wires in the harness removed in step 3 (left and right contact breakers)
12) Connect the RED PIU wire to the BROWN in harness connector as in step 2 ( ignition 12 volt supply)
The bike will now run.
Note: The GREY wire is used to
disable the ZX MK2 unit. This wire is taken to ground through the kill, or
engine stop switch. This wire can also be used with a hidden switch as an anti
theft, or used with an external rev limiting RPM counter. Current through this
wire is approx 12 milliamps. If not used, this wire can be cut and ignored.
IMPORTANT: If the ignition key is left on with
the kill switch enabled, the CDI will be in standby mode and still consuming
The CDI will draw only 12 watts (1 amp) from the battery as opposed to the 32 watts of the original system, allowing a more powerful headlight to be used.. The points will last almost indefinitely and ignition timing will stay set for very much longer. The inbuilt timing lights make initial setup a breeze.
Click for Wiring Diagram