CDI conversion for SUZUKI T500 using existing points.
1) mount CDI to bike and disconnect battery.
2) Disconnect 4 pin Molex style connector from the 2 ignition coils, and route the main harness end toward the CDI
3) Route the CDI ORANGE and BLUE wires to this connector and connect these to the WHITE and BLACK ( two ignition coil actives, left, and right)
4) Connect two BLACK wires to the two ORANGE wires in this same connector (common ground), and ground these securely.
5) Connect the BROWN CDI wire to one orange wire in the rerouted harness connector as in step 2 ( 12 volt ignition)
6) Connect the BLACK CDI wire to a firm ground.
7) mount the Points Interface Unit in a suitable place where the two timing lights can be easily seen when setting up the timing.
8) Connect the CDI YELLOW, and PURPLE wires to the Points Interface Unit YELLOW, and PURPLE .
9) Connect the PIU BLACK wire to a firm ground
10) Connect the PIU ORANGE and BLUE wires to the WHITE and BLACK leads in the Molex style harness connector removed in step 2 (left and right contact breakers)
11) Connect the RED PIU wire to the ORANGE in harness connector as in step 2 ( ignition 12 volt supply)
The bike will now run.
Note: The GREY wire is used
to disable the ZX MK2 unit. This wire is taken to ground through a kill,
or engine stop switch. This wire can also be used with a hidden switch
as an anti theft, or used with an external rev limiting RPM counter.
Current through this wire is approx 12 milliamps. If not used, this wire
can be cut and ignored. IMPORTANT:
If the ignition key is left on with the kill switch enabled, the CDI
will be in standby mode and still consuming battery power.
The CDI will draw only 12 watts (1 amp) from the battery as opposed to the 32 watts of the original system, allowing a more powerful headlight to be used.. The points will last almost indefinitely and ignition timing will stay set for very much longer. The inbuilt timing lights make initial setup a breeze.
Click for Wiring Diagram