ZX CDI fitting instructions for Suzuki GT550
CDI conversion for SUZUKI GT 550 using existing points. The POINTS
INTERFACE UNIT must be used with this conversion
1) mount CDI to bike and disconnect battery.
2) Disconnect 6 pin Molex style connector from the 3 ignition coils, and
route the main harness end toward the CDI
3) Route the CDI ORANGE, BLUE and DARK GREEN wires to the IGNITION COIL
end of this connector and connect these to the PURPLE, BLACK/WHITE and
( three ignition coil actives, left, center and right)
4) Connect three CDI BLACK wires to the three ORANGE wires in this
same connector (common ground)
5) Connect the BROWN CDI wire to one orange wire in the rerouted main
harness connector as in step 2
6) Connect one BLACK CDI wire to a firm ground.
7) mount the Points Interface Unit in a suitable place where the three
timing lights can be easily seen when setting up the timing.
8) Connect the CDI YELLOW, PURPLE and LIGHT GREEN wires to the Points
Interface Unit YELLOW, PURPLE and LIGHT GREEN .
9) Connect the PIU BLACK wire to a firm ground
10) Connect the PIU ORANGE, BLUE and BROWN wires to the PURPLE,
BLACK/WHITE and BLACK leads in the Molex style harness connector as in
step 2 (left, center and right contact breakers)
11) Connect the RED PIU wire to the ORANGE in the main harness
connector as in step 2 ( ignition 12 volt supply)
12) Cut short the CDI unused wires and seal ends with nail varnish.
These are BLACK x 1, GREY x 1
The bike will now run.
CLICK HERE FOR PICTORIAL WIRING DIAGRAM
The CDI will draw only 12 watts (1 amp) from the
battery as opposed to the 48 watts of the original system, and will
allow the use of a brighter headlamp. The points will last almost
indefinitely and ignition timing will stay set for very much longer. The
inbuilt timing lights make initial setup a breeze. A "hidden" antitheft
switch can be installed to prevent the bike starting by grounding the
GREY CDI wire.