ZX CDI fitting instructions for Suzuki GT750
CDI conversion for SUZUKI GT 750 using existing points. The POINTS
INTERFACE UNIT must be used with this conversion
1) mount CDI to bike and disconnect battery
2) Disconnect the 6 pin Molex style connector from the 3 ignition coils,
and route the main harness end toward the CDI
3) Route the CDI ORANGE, BLUE and DARK GREEN wires to the IGNITION COIL
end of this connector and connect these to the WHITE, BLUE/YELLOW and
( three ignition coil actives, left, center and right)
4) Connect three CDI BLACK wires to the three ORANGE wires in this
same connector (common ground)
5) Connect the BROWN CDI wire to one orange wire in the rerouted main
harness connector as in step 2
6) Connect one BLACK CDI wire to a firm ground.
7) Mount the Points Interface Unit in a suitable place where the three
timing lights can be easily seen when setting up the timing.
8) Connect the CDI YELLOW, PURPLE and LIGHT GREEN wires to the Points
Interface Unit YELLOW, PURPLE and LIGHT GREEN .
9) Connect the PIU BLACK wire to a firm ground
10) Connect the PIU ORANGE, BLUE and BROWN wires to the WHITE,
BLUE/YELLOW and BLACK leads in the Molex style harness connector as in
step 2 (left, center and right contact breakers)
11) Connect the RED PIU wire to the ORANGE in main harness connector as
in step 2 ( ignition 12 volt supply)
12) Cut short the CDI unused wires and seal ends with nail varnish.
These are BLACK x 1, GREY x 1
The bike will now run.
CLICK HERE FOR PICTORIAL WIRING DIAGRAM
The CDI will draw only 12 watts (1 amp) from the
battery as opposed to the 48 watts of the original system, allowing the
use of a brighter headlamp. The points will last almost indefinitely and
ignition timing will stay set for very much longer. The inbuilt timing
lights make initial setup a breeze. A "hidden" antitheft switch can be
installed to prevent the bike starting by grounding the GREY CDI wire.