The ZX unit, fitted to this model bike gives the following advantages:
1) Standard fitting in place of the stock unit... small size. Neat installation
using original wiring harness.
2) Completely bypasses the problematic H/L speed magneto coil, and hard starting
3) Allows the H/L coil to be rewound into a third charging coil, increasing the
capability to run better lighting.
5) Brings the complete ignition system up to modern standards, no longer
requiring use of the original unreliable, expensive or hard to replace parts.
For road racing and drag racing applications.
1) The new CDI will run as a simple minimal equipment, stand alone system.
2) Is compatible with external RPM limiting Tachometers
3) Will run 1.5 hours on a small set of AA nicads or similar... total loss
system for weight reduction.
4) Small and light weight.
------------STARFIRE ZX CDI INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR KH400------------
1) Remove the original CDI unit, and mount the Starfire unit in
place. The original mounting points cannot be used, bulkhead moulded
attachment points are included on the box, 3 3/4 inches between centers,
the existing platform can be redrilled, or a small custom adaptor made.
2) Identify the three 2 pin Molex style connector in the harness...
these six wires are connected to the ignition coils.
3) Connect three of the BLACK wires from the CDI to the 3 BLACK wires in
the three connectors.
4) Connect the CDI ORANGE, BLUE and DARK GREEN wires to the
corresponding colours in the three connectors, one in each.
5) Identify the 6 pin Molex style connector from the alternator housing.
These are the magneto coil and trigger coil feeds.
6) Connect the CDI YELLOW to the RED/WHITE (left cylinder)
7) Connect the CDI PURPLE to the BLUE/WHITE (Center cylinder)
8) Connect the CDI LIGHT GREEN to the GREEN/WHITE (right cylinder)
9) Connect one CDI GREY wire to the WHITE/BLACK (kill switch)
10) Connect the BLACK CDI wire to the BLACK ( common ground in
11) Connect the CDI BROWN wire to any handy brown wire in the harness...
this is the 12 volt supply from the ignition switch. This MUST be zero
voltage when key is off.
12) Connect the remaining BLACK CDI wire to a firm ground using an
The bike will now run.
Click for Wiring Diagram
Notes: The existing H/L speed magneto coil can be completely discarded.
Its complete function is taken over
by the CDI unit, the high voltage now
derived from the 12 volt charging
system and drawing only an additional
12 watts maximum ( 1 amp) from
the battery. The H/L coil can be rewound,
similar to the other charging
coils to usefully increase the charging capacity
of the bike, possibly by another 2 amps... 24 watts.
------------INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR KH400 w/ minimal electrics------------
For minimal equipment dragracing/road racing use, The Starfire CDI will
function as a complete stand alone unit. It is suggested a small battery
pack be used to supply the required voltage. A pack of 8 2000 mAh AA
rechargable NiMh or NiCads will run the unit for approximately 1.5
The GREY inhibit wire will cut the engine immediately when grounded.
This will allow an external RPM limiter to be connected to the system.
Wire the CDI as follows:
1) Mount the CDI to bike.
2) Identify the three NEGATIVE primary terminals on the ignition coils,
and connect all three to a firm ground
4) Connect the three wires from the CDI unit... ORANGE, BLUE, and DARK
GREEN to the POSITIVE primary terminals of the three ignition coils.
These are RIGHT, CENTER, LEFT
5) Connect the three wires from the CDI YELLOW, PURPLE, and LIGHT GREEN
to the three pulse coils (trigger coils). These are RIGHT, CENTER, and
6) Connect ONE BLACK wire from the CDI to a firm ground.
7) Connect the BROWN wire from the CDI, to one terminal of a kill
switch, or deadmans. The other switch terminal then connects to the
POSITIVE of the battery pack, the NEGATIVE of this pack connecting to
ground. A suitable POLARIZED plug will be required to assist changing
packs between races.
8) Cut short all unused wires from the CDI unit... BLACK X 4, GREY X 1.
Dab a coating of nail varnish on the exposed ends.