ZX CDI fitting instructions for Suzuki T500
CDI conversion for SUZUKI T500 using existing points. The POINTS
INTERFACE UNIT must be used with this conversion
1) mount CDI to bike and disconnect battery.
2) Disconnect 4 pin Molex style connector from the 2 ignition coils, and
route the main harness end toward the CDI
3) Route the CDI ORANGE and BLUE wires to this connector and connect
these to the WHITE and BLACK
( two ignition coil actives, left, and right)
4) Connect two CDI BLACK wires to the two ORANGE wires in this same
connector (common ground)
5) Connect the BROWN CDI wire to one orange wire in the rerouted harness
connector as in step 2 ( 12 volt ignition)
6) Connect one BLACK CDI wire to a firm ground.
7) mount the Points Interface Unit in a suitable place where the three
timing lights can be easily seen when setting up the timing.
8) Connect the CDI YELLOW, and PURPLE and LIGHT GREEN wires to the
Points Interface Unit YELLOW, PURPLE and LIGHT GREEN .
9) Connect the PIU BLACK wire to a firm ground
10) Connect the PIU ORANGE and BLUE wires to the WHITE and BLACK leads
in the Molex style harness connector removed in step 2 (left and right
11) Connect the RED PIU wire to the ORANGE in harness connector as in
step 2 ( ignition 12 volt supply)
12) Cut short the CDI unused wires and seal ends with nail varnish.
These are BLACK x 3, GREY x 1, DARK GREEN x1, LIGHT GREEN x 1
13) Cut the BROWN unused wire on the PIU and seal as above.
The bike will now run.
CLICK HERE FOR PICTORIAL WIRING DIAGRAM
The CDI will draw only 12 watts (1 amp) from the
battery as opposed to the 32 watts of the original system, allowing a
more powerful headlight to be used.. The points will last almost
indefinitely and ignition timing will stay set for very much longer. The
inbuilt timing lights make initial setup a breeze. A "hidden" antitheft
switch can be installed to prevent the bike starting by grounding the
GREY CDI wire.